Singapore is renowned for its vibrant and diverse culinary scene, with countless traditional dishes drawing influence from various cultures. One such dish that embodies Singapore’s multicultural heritage is Singaporean rice – a delectable combination of flavourful ingredients and fragrant spices that will leave your taste buds singing.
To make Singaporean rice at home, you will need:
– 1 cup of white rice
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 1 green chili, finely sliced
– 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
– 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
– 1 cup of water
– Salt to taste
1. In a large saucepan, cook the rice according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the onion, garlic, chili, turmeric, and cumin. Set aside.
3. When the rice is cooked through, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion mixture to the pan and cook, frequently stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the onions soften.
4. Stir in the cooked rice and water, mixing well to combine. Season with salt, if desired, and continue cooking until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve hot, garnished with sliced green chilies, if desired.
Whether you are looking for a flavorful and satisfying meal or simply want to try your hand at creating Singaporean cuisine at home, this Singaporean rice recipe will delight your taste buds and transport you straight to the streets of Singapore! Bon appetit!